Instagram is a photo- and video- sharing app that is becoming more and more valuable to marketers, especially with Facebook’s acquisition of the platform. With more than 500 million active monthly users, Instagram has a very active user base. Many consumer brands are already realizing tremendous success from Instagram, using it to showcase their products and engage their audience through posts, contests, and giveaways.
For B2B organizations, you can use Instagram to share interesting quotes and fun visuals, capture event and office culture photos, and run contests and scavenger hunts. Choosing the Right Social Media Platforms Instagram Whether you are a B2B organization or a consumer brand, here are a few tips to help you find success on Instagram:
PLAN: Before you begin sharing photos and engaging users, it’s up to you to create a plan to help you reach your audience with posts that they will like. Ask questions like:
- What does my target audience want to see?
- How can I get them to engage with my photos and videos?
- What will get them talking about my company? At its core, the plan stage is about determining what will make buyers engage with your brand in a positive manner and creating a plan of execution.
CAPTURE: The time has come to start creating and sharing your content! Consider the following objectives as you create your visual content:
- Make it exclusive: Post images and videos that can only be seen on Instagram
- Make it visually engaging: Instagram users are savvy and creative, and know lackluster content when they see it. Don’t post a photo or video unless it has aesthetic appeal.
- Make it personal: Post photos and videos that give your audience personal insight into the inner circle or workings of your product or company. People want to feel like they are part of something, and making them feel like an insider works wonders.
- Include your audience: Find ways to feature your followers and promote them (with their permission). Including and acknowledging your audience will encourage them to continue to engage and share.
HASHTAG: The Instagram hashtag is a powerful feature to engage your viewers. Hashtags act as keywords, providing a way for people to find photos through a simple search. Hashtags are especially useful as you seek to establish your brand as an industry leader and get more followers. Implement hashtags that are unique to your brand and industry, as well as hashtags that are popular keywords. And remember to use hashtags (more than one!) on all of your posts.
ENGAGE: Engaging with potential customers and sharing are the primary reasons to utilize a platform such as Instagram. Luckily, there are a variety of ways for brands to do this:
- Events: Post photos and videos of events you host for your current and potential customers.
- Geolocation: Use the geolocation feature to provide yet another point of engagement with your viewers. By tagging your location, users can easily discover your account and your photos. This might come in handy for a conference or event you’re hosting, or to promote in- store events.
- Gamification: Hold a contest for your audience. Have viewers submit photos, provide captions, or solve a puzzle about your photos.
- Convert: Instagram offers advertising that can drive direct sales, form fill-outs, subscriptions, and a variety of other conversion activities. While these are not organic posts, they are important to consider as you create your Instagram content mix that serves your goals.